Yes I had a nap.


When I was a kid I did not get irony. Robert Christgau said "irony is the defense of everything and the justification of nothing." and I would add "irony is justified by having something to defend against". What do we mean when we are being ironic? That were digging in on something that's less obvious? ...Yes I think this explanation will serve my purpose.... But more then that it's a way to engage in mindless self indulgences, and still keep out intellectual identity by claiming irony as a buffer. The gorillaz is an elaborate conceptional wall of irony designed to allow us to engage in genre mashups that have pieces that are expropriated so far from there  source that they seem absurd. But the humor of the irony let's indulge in this equivalent of a Hardy's burger all the while knowing were thinking of McDonalds. So if your a loser like me (and I know you are) then the question is why can't we just eat our Mccdonalds? The answer is simple we have grown in awareness and taste so now when we put the metaphorical burger and pick up popular songs as factual truth of what were talking about. then we can say "should people pushing thirty really be fascinated by what is essentially a youth music?" and again the answer is obvious "irony allows it." And I would add just because I feel frustrated having to explain this too you mouth-breathers "fuck off!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayward Bound Or: a warped piano accompanying an epic f@%king poem. (Cluster one, of five.)

On the potential distance of other worlds. (revision)