Astlibra: revision… thoughts and feelings.

 I clocked in sixty five hours of Astlibra: revision in the last week. I very much think it is my favorite game of all time.


That is most of what I have to say on it.


Not because I don’t have strong opinions but for the first time in my life I think the surprise of finding the best game ever in a rpg maker looking (sort of aesthetic) game is an invigorating surprise! And a nice way to be reminded of the hidden potential in the very act of a life lived or otherwise. 


I still have not got what is called the true ending (I think in the Dragon Quest sort of tv series kind of way)  But, I have finished the main arc and beat one of the main last bosses (Seriously this game does not want to en and I am here for it!).


With all that said how describe the game? Like the story of Chrono Trigger tacked onto a Ys game if it was produced by Yoko Taro and directed by whoever you wanted to be when you grew up! Yeah that specific.


All can add without hitting my hard wall of zero spoilers… I would say if you find any of my rambling on game design vaguely interesting than take my recommendation to heart: this is my desert island video game. I don’t wish I had made it. I don’t want to make something that is anything like it. I only want to play it and marvel at its existence.


Reminds me of the wonder I used to have as an early teen for the potential of life (I know how insane and sentimental I am).


If you don’ like Japanese pop culture maybe skip it…   This is for lack of an alternative term (bless my heart) a classical piece of otaku culture.


The shining jewel of the collective post tramatic stress disorder that that followed the bombs that inspired fifty year of pop culture in the land of the rising sun. Maybe the only country on earth who can fathom a post nuclear apocalypse. (I am excluding Hxh because ultimately I bring it up far too much…Thought I think they are two distinct angles on the same wave of cultural energy).


If you are into anime vhs tape collecting… or ancient artifacts of the video game arcade for the love all I hold most dear I beseech you to play this game.


The older I get finding joy and peace in the apocalypse gets harder and yet that is the task at hand.


To bear witness. To the tragedy and miracle we call life.


Jim Dodge said a work of art is life that gives life.


This game is a work of art.


And yet it is also the anti ico or shadow of the colossus. Loads of numbers going up on screen and a very horny (if human story).


It is a strange miracle of a game made by a salary man who has a very rich internal life. Full of unironic hope and aspirations that the kitsch that has defined a whole generations life meant something. I can’t add anything to that other than I think he made his point.

Comments

Popular Posts