Interesting Failure: the life of an outsider artist.

                                 "Most of the worst things said about me, I've said myself."
-Daniel Johnston

I listened to my first album all the way through, in the order i had it sequenced, when i finished it. and i think i almost beat Tommy Wiseau for the title of the disaster artist. but i have a nostalgia for the self titled album i endearingly call Mason Andrew. primarily because it was a strange idea to record  the album to begin with, at least when provided with context. i had just started the long recovery from a psychosis that lasted for almost two years. deciding that i would record as much as possible. then wait till i felt comfortable with the material and sequence it. i actually almost finished my second album songs of sara, a concept album about my therapist being god by the time i felt comfortable enough with my semi sane state to organize the mess into a coherent whole. the idea in sequencing the album was based off of two of my favorite albums. bob Dylan's - self portrait and tom waits orphans: brawlers, bawlers and bastards. i knew from listening to the songs that some of them would not stand up without a context, so i tried to position tracks so people would not think of them as individual compositions but as a commentary on a internal reality. i put a few weeks in trying to draw out the themes in a way that made some of the more questionable choices at least a tassel on the garment. as it stands it is sixty-one tracks, and over two hours long. my magnum opus of shame. it was therapeutic and i hope to redeem myself one day but until then i am not artist just an outsider.
you can find my music dharmadischarge.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayward Bound Or: a warped piano accompanying an epic f@%king poem. (Cluster one, of five.)

On the potential distance of other worlds. (revision)