Update on Anunnaki and other projects.

 

I am working on Greed Hunter again and took a break for a week from revising the novel. Though tonight I intend on starting back on the book.

 

Chapter three's revision will be drastic on the language front. While rereading my prose, I find that it is monotonous and, in general, has the appeal of fingernails being drug down a chock board. So yeah, more drastic changes will be in presentation than in dialog (which I know is also not my strong point) or plot.

 

I have learned something that may be of use to other writers because while trying not to do what Steven King calls "look ma' I am writing." If you list events, the book becomes dry on a sentence by sentence level. But suppose you also pile on pseudo poetic language. In that case, you lose the rhythm that comes from merely comprehending what is going on (only bad writers obscure the linear events with language to misdirect the reader from their bad story.) and have to reread a sentence to know what it means. So finding the sweet spot of proper use of metaphor and simile is paramount.

 

Defining the sweet spot comes down to the taste of the writer and reader of the text. There is no such thing as a perfect book (except for stone junction). My problem is that since I am self-educated, I have no confidence and have killed my ambition as a writer. To make sure the text is semi grammatically correct was of higher importance than anything else. Yes, even trying to tell a story, most of my writing except the three parts of Dharma-Discharge and the current draft Anunnaki have been written and shared on multiple sites to see if I could write something comprehensible. And I have been reading the elements of style and On writing to try to meet the criticisms that I expected and did receive.

 

Anyway, expect chapter three in the next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayward Bound Or: a warped piano accompanying an epic f@%king poem. (Cluster one, of five.)

On the potential distance of other worlds. (revision)