Winsor Mccay: the greatest draftsman of the 20th century.


"The principle factor in my success has been an absolute desire to draw constantly. I never decided to be an artist. Simply, I couldn't stop myself from drawing. I drew for my own pleasure. I never wanted to know whether or not someone liked my drawings. I have never kept one of my drawings. I drew on walls, the school blackboard, odd bits of paper, the walls of barns. Today I'm still as fond of drawings as when I was a kid - and that was a long time ago - but, surprising as it may seem, I never thought about the money I would receive for my drawings. I simply drew them."
- Winsor McCay

   The line of Winsor Mccay is nothing short of astounding, in many ways he is my favorite visual artist. He has a confidence and fierce grasp of anatomy in his work that is more inspired then ten of his contemporaries.
   While his lovably goofy dialog (often written after the comic was drawn!) let's you feel like the whimsy of the worlds he created were contagious. I am struggling with what to say since most of the historical details of his life can be easily found. But the fact remains that he is my biggest visual influence only rivaled by Yoshihiro Togashi in the cannon of what made me as a fourteen year-old decide I wanted to learn how to draw. Ever since I was little I wanted to be an artist (but have never really had much talent for it.) and remember how broken I was as a childish teenager. than I was when my father said after hearing of my ambition "that if you ever want to go to art school then you need to learn how to make art first!" this destroyed me, as always. But something happened after seeing the work of Winsor Mccay I quit caring and started drawing. So by definition he is my inspiration.
   Mr. Mccay is the father of animation and only equaled in the comic field by George Herriman (the father of krazy kat). The magic of dreams is that so quickly they become nightmares. But like little Nemo the waking world doesn't always seem the like the best alternative. So enter into the imagination of Mr. Mccay with no reluctance but caution, I mean what is the worst that can happen? if you wake up you can always enter the dream again....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wayward Bound Or: a warped piano accompanying an epic f@%king poem. (Cluster one, of five.)

On the potential distance of other worlds. (revision)